Dorothy “Dot” Levis
Munroe, University of Delaware alumna and -- with her late husband,
John -- the namesake of the University’s John A. Munroe and Dorothy L.
Munroe Chair of History, died on June 12, 2019, after a brief illness.
She was 96. The named professorship was established in 2007 through the proceeds of a charitable gift annuity created by the couple in 2001.
Mrs. Munroe was born in Baltimore, Maryland, where she, her twin sister
Katheryne and older sister Grace grew up in Roland Park. After
graduating together from the Women’s College of the University of North
Carolina at Greensboro, where the twins were both inducted into Phi Beta
Kappa, they both came to the University of Delaware, where they
completed their master’s degrees in chemistry. In 1944 she befriended a young history instructor, John Munroe, who would become her husband. As John Munroe
became known as one of Delaware’s most respected historians, Dot Munroe
had her share of notable accomplishments, including becoming the first
woman appointed, and later elected, to the Newark Special School
District Board of Education. Later, she had a career teaching high school mathematics, teaching first
at Dickinson High School and later at Newark High School. In 1983, she
retired from teaching, simultaneously with her husband’s retirement from
his 42-year career as H. Rodney Sharp Professor of History at the
University of Delaware.
A memorial service followed by a reception will be held at 2 p.m.,
Saturday, June 29, at Cokesbury Village auditorium, 726 Loveville Rd.,
Hockessin. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests contributions to the
Newark Senior Center, 200 Whitechapel Drive, Newark, DE 19713 or Planned
Parenthood of Delaware by visiting www.weareplannedparenthood.org.
Condolences may be left online.
Read the full story on UDaily.